These were—Bell Street, Bridgegate Street, Candleriggs Street, Canon Street, Drygate Street, Gallowgate Street, High Street, King Street, Princes Street, Kottenrow Street, Saltmarket Street, Stockwell Street, and Trongate Street. Photograph: Corbis via Getty Images. It is bounded on the east by Bridge Street and Eglinton Street, on the north by the River Clyde, on the west by West Street, and on the south by the Paisley and Johnstone Canal. Stockwell Street derives the name from a well which stood on the east side, about half way down the street, and was wrought with the old-fashioned wood stock, which vanished with the introduction of the iron lever. Langside is rich in historic names. In 1174 it was written Dalmurnech, which is purely Celtic, from two words dael and muranach, meaning the meadow or plain abounding in bent and iris. Drygate Street is undoubtedly the oldest thoroughfare in the city. Up till 1750 there were only thirteen streets in Glasgow. Description. Tureen Street. Hanover Street, opened 1787, and is named for the Elector of Hanover. A year or two since, a correspondent in one of the daily papers, who claimed to be the Garscadden Street, after the estate of this name in the parish of New Kilpatrick and county of Dumbarton. Bath Street got its name from William Harley, who was known as the water entrepreneur. Waddell Street, named for Mr. Waddel of Stonefield, through whose estate it was formed. It was the western boundary of this gentleman's property, which extended eastward to Stockwell Street, and the rope walk, which was in operation till well on in last century, reached the entire length, crossing Jamaica Street in an overhead gallery. On the decay of the cotton trade he merged into that of iron, by starting the Anderston Foundry; and the family are now represented by the Houldsworths of Coltness, which estate they purchased in 1836. More than 11,500 people have previously signed an online petition to rename streets linked with slave owners. Harvey Street (off Paisley Road), from the Christian name of Harvey Brand, who was proprietor of the ground on which it was formed. Tolerated somewhat in the same spirit, there ramps as the chief ornament at the Ci'oss of our city the bonnetless and sandalled effigy of one whose whole life was permeated with holy zeal, yet he lent himself to the carrying out of the Massacre of Glencoe and the destruction of the Darien Expedition. Dalmarnock Road was the highway to the estate of this name, which is said to have been derived from Saint Marnock, who had a cell at Kilmarnock; but this is mythical. At that time it was in great part a deep hollow or ravine thickly studded with saiigh trees and the lower part filled with a dense undergrowth, and towards nightfall it had rather a weird appearance, police in this locality being unknown at this period. Ingram Street, opened 1781, is named for Archibald Ingram, who had been Provost in 1762. The memory of her secretary, Maitland of Lethington, is revived in Maitland and Lethington Avenues, and that of Lord Claud Hamilton, the commander of her forces on that inauspicious day, in Hamilton Avenue. Camlachie or Cambuslachie are both Celtic terms, meaning the wild duck hollow or glen. Centre Street alone excepted, the first house in which was built by Thomas Craigie in 1790. In a charter of the following year it is printed Ballahowstene. Grahamston, a district in Anderston, on the north side of Argyle Street, was named for John Graham of Dougalston, who died in 1749. He built a series of public baths along this street which led to ‘pleasure gardens’ on his estate at the northern end of the thoroughfare. Havannah Street, opened 1763, and named by Gavin Williamson in honour of the capture of the capital of Cuba. John Street (Bridgeton), named for John Walkinshaw, third of Barrowfield. As it was a fairly rural area, the ‘byres’ part of the name is likely to refer to the Scots word for a cow shed. The property consisted of about 50 Scotch acres. Burgh of Barony, and annexed to the city in 1846. Muirpark Street was formed on the lands of this name, which had been acquired by Mr. Gardner, flesher, Partick. for the Falkirk Burghs in 1874, was in his youthful days a clerk in this factory when it was being run by Mr. White. Macintosh Street was formed on the lands of Dunchattan, which had been acquired by George Macintosh about the beginning of last century. The first quay or jetty, with a weigh-house and crane, were erected here in 1662. Girgenti is the rather foreign-sounding title of the small estate which has been acquired for the isolation of habitual inebriates. Commerce Street was at first called Queen Street. Hamilton Street (Great), opened 1813, and named for John Hamilton of North Park, who was Chief Magistrate. relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaw was acquired by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on it during the last 20 years of his life. A pottery was for many years in operation here under the name of the Delftfield Co., which had been established in 1749. Sixteen new streets, 3589 yards in length, were taken over as public during the course of the twelve months. The name comes from a nunnery founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester. Adelphi Street was opened early in last century, and named in honour of the brothers Hutcheson. This place is mentioned in a Crown charter granted in 1597, where it reads Ballahawstene. Peden, the Scottish prophet, prognosticated that the Cross of Glasgow would ultimately be on this spot. Gilmorehill, whereon sits the College. In 1766 Mr. Murdoch, the senior partner, was Provost of the town, and during his tenure of office he was presented, when in London, to King George the Third, who remarked that he was the handsomest Scotsman he had ever seen. Queen Street, opened 1777, is named for Queen Charlotte. Harvey's Dyke case. After the Reformation King James the Sixth gave these lands, which consisted of about thirteen acres, to John Andrew, who was clerk of his Secret Council. One of the side walls of the old building stood till within the last three years, and a fragment can yet be seen behind St. Paul's Parish Mission Hall by going up the close or entry number 14. Miller Street, opened 1760 by Mr. Miller of Westerton, whose property it was carried through. Fox Street, named in honour of Charles James Fox, the celebrated statesman. NELSON STREET (City), opened 1797, was named in honour of Lord Nelson. Whitehall Street was formed through the lands of Whitehall. Nathan Evans: who is the Scottish Wellerman sea shanty singer on TikTok – and why will he enter the UK Top 40? The Cross was at the junction of Main Street and King Street, the latter at that time being known as New Street. The mansion of the estate (Kinning House) stood till within the last thirty years a few yards east of Kinning Place, on rentaller, Broc—this name, and Brokas, both occurring in the rental book of the Diocesan Registers. An old mansion which stood here till 1849 was known as Watt's House. The name is derived from two Gaelic words signifying the stream or pool haunted by wolves; and doubtless in the olden time quadrupeds of this description were plentiful in the locale. Rottenrow Street. A82 road; A. Argyle Street, Glasgow; Ashton Lane; B. Broomielaw; Buchanan Street; Byres Road; C. Candleriggs; Cochrane Street, Glasgow; D. Duke Street, … It was formed on the bleachfield of Brown, Carrick, & Co., and named for the senior partner. Alex Glass. This gentleman, by the way, it may be mentioned, was the father of a late leading legal luminary in this city, Sir James Roberton. Since the foregoing was written, the remaining remnant of the old mansion has been swept away, the site having been acquired for a bank. This place during the present year (1901), has in the course of re-building been entirely swept away. Hozier Street (Biidgeton) was named for James Hozier of Mauldslie, who was Superior of the Barrowfield estate. This title was borne by the kings of Britain from the time of King George the First till the death of William the Fourth, when, in virtue of the Salic law, it passed by inheritance to Ernest, Duke of Cumberland. He was the eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton, and was widely known as a bitter persecutor of the Covenanters. Brunswick Street, opened 1790, named in honour of the House of Hanover. A battle was fought here during the reign of Queen Marie between the Regent Arran and Lennox and Glencairn. This was the first check The vagabonds were ejected at the Gallowgate Port, so that they might benefit by a sight of the permanent gallows (which stood on the Butts) en passant. He afterwards built several tenements in Argyle Street east of Jamaica Street and extending to this lane. It was at that time nine or ten feet above its present level, and culminated in a hillock about fifteen feet high near its eastern extremity, where stood the toll-house. The word at present is The streets were first lighted in 1717 with a few oil lamps which were hung on brackets; but in 1780 the first lamps were placed on the south-side of Trongate Street. So it was with Bridgeton, but on making a pilgrimage to the shrine a few weeks since I found the vandals had swept the mark away. Hyde Park Street was formed through the demesne of Hyde Park, whereon were a mansion-house, a tan-yard, and its adjuncts. George Murdoch, who was Provost in 1766, had a residence at the corner. Advertisements anent these lands can be seen in files of the Glasgow Herald of seventy years ago. Garthland Street, opened 1793. He was senior partner of William Collins, Sons & Co., the well-known publishing firm. The monkish conveyancers, however, rendered it the Thus a close was generally taken to be a passage This burgh was formed on the lands of the name. The church having become unsuitable, it was taken down in 1827 and the present one erected. Monteith Street (Bridgeton) is also named for Henry Monteith. His heirs and The bird is the robin he brought back to life after it had been decapitated. The foundation-stone of the first tenement in it was laid with Masonic honours on 30th April, 1824. A candle work formerly occupied a site at its north end. Bothwell Street. Record indeed! Pitt Street, named in honour of William Pitt, the celebrated statesman. Douglas Street, named for James Douglas of Mains. Sanitary affairs were conducted in rather a primitive fashion in Bridgeton up till 1830, when the contractor for cleansing was bound to sweep the streets only six times during the year, for which he got the handsome remuneration of £3 10s. George Square. Time toned him down, and He was also associated with the St. Rollox Chemical Works when the firm was Macintosh, Tennant & Co. His son Charles was the inventor of the waterproof coat. He was an extensive cotton spinner and proprietor of several factories. Alex Glass. He was also chief partner in the Merchant Bank, the office of which was in this street, and it was he who named it. James Primrose; Glasgow: Past and Present," Jamieson's "History of the Culdees," "The Country Houses of theOld Glasgow Gentry," "Commissariat of Govan," Scott's "History of Langside," "Scottish Pasquils," edited by Maidment; "The Harlot's Progress," by Balzac; "Glasghu Facies," Clelland's "Annals of Glasgow," "Glasgow: its Municipal Organisation and Administration," by Sir James Bell and J. Paton; "Scottish Market Crosses," These cognomens have remained, but Bridge Street, which he had named Bloomsbury, has got a more suitable title. Guildry Court (off Bridgegate Street) is immediately behind the site of the Old Merchants' House, which was begun to be built in 1651, but the steeple was not finished till 1663. Charlotte Lane. Previous to 1801 it extended as far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the east corner tenement. Virginia Street, opened 1753, got its name from Provost Andrew Buchanan of Drumpellar. Glover, in "Political Memoirs," at page 9, states that he was in his own person a most shameless prostitute to power, and extremely avaricious. Portland Street, opened 1802, was named in honour of the Duke of Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister. James Woddrop of Dalmainock and James Woddrop, younger, are witnesses to the later will of John Blackburne, minister of the Baronie of Glasgow, who died May 1623. of Succoth. Muirhead Street (Gorbals) was named for Robert Muirhead, who was a Bailie in the town in 1798. Saint Ninian Street is formed upon Saint Ninian's Croft. John Street (City) was named for several municipal magnates at that time (1785) in office; therefore it should have been Johns' Street. The name originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided He also said 'It is th… This little street, which formed the east end of Norfolk Street and led into Main Street, has disappeared in the march of improvement. Montrose is perhaps unduly commemorated in having two streets named for him, but as he is the only Duke on record that had a residence of his own in town, he is perhaps entitled to the extra recognition, as even at the present day the patent nobility seem to eschew this city, every titled personage having a residence in it, with three exceptions, having acquired their honours from civic services. Had this been a holy cross to the memory of a saint or bishop, the indictment would have mentioned it, and the dignitaries of the Church would most likely have taken the punishment in hand, or at least have had a say in it, but the Church is silent, and the Cross is It was named in honour of George Dempster of Dunichen, who was M.P. The origin of this name has been ascribed to Queen Mary. Similarly, Jamaica Street (along with several other streets in the Merchant City) also takes its name from Glasgow’s connections with the Empire. Candleriggs Street, Canon Street, Drygate Street, Gallowgate Street, High Street, King Street, Princes ‘Haugh’ means a meadow or valley and ‘sauchie’ refers to the type of trees that grew there, so Sauchiehall roughly translates to Willow Grove. Napiershall Street was formed on land belonging to Thomas Napier, who was a watchmaker in Glasgow in 1763. It runs from the city centre to the East End, from High Street through the residential district of Dennistoun, past The Forge Shopping Centre, meeting the Gallowgate, Tollcross Road and Westmuir Street to form a turreted Edwardian junction at Parkhead Cross. She, with the consent of her husband, Robert Graham, feued a plot of ground on 21st July 1793 to Robert Craig, grocer, one of the conditions of the feu contract being that the plot was in all time coming to be known as Maryhill. In Gaelic it is dhu or black hill. Bridgegate Street, opened in 1100, and previous to the erection of the bridge over the river. Fordneuk Street, as its name denotes, was the ford in the corner over Camlachie Burn. situated on the ridge of a hill, with a southern exposure, which guaranteed a dry site for dwellings, and with the gardens of the Deanery spread out on the slope below, it certainly was the most Shettleston. Pollok Street is named for the estate on which it stands. The old hotel still standing between Glassford Street and Virginia Street, is now engrossed in the premises of Mann, Byars, & Co. Argyle Arcade. It was removed by some vandals about the end of the eighteenth century. Saint Thomas Chapel stood at the eastern end of this street in the olden time. It was formed on the lands of Springfield, which had previously been occupied by the cotton-spinning factory of Todd & Higginbotham. Landressy Street should be Landres Street, after a small village in France, from whence came one of the Turkey-red operatives, who built the first house in this street. The Maxwells of Stanely Castle came into possession of that holding through intermarriage with the Dennistouns, it having been granted to Sir Robert de Danielston by King Robert the Third on 24th August, 1392. Abbey Drive G14 9JP; Abbeycraig Road G34 0DN; Abbeygreen Street G34 0JH; Abbeyhill Street G32 6HP; Abbot Street G41 3XE; Abbotsford Place G5 9QS; Abbotshall Avenue G15 8PL; Abercorn Avenue, Hillington Park G52 4JL; … This was done by turfing over the erection. Hangingshaw, a place where people were executed. 6,050 17 1. In Jamieson's history of the Culdees it is stated that the Pagans brought the word dry from Germany, as being the name by which every German priest was called. In a charter dated 1580 the name is written Ibrokes. Their father was Thomas Hutcheson of Lambhill. This, it was considered, would have been a more convenient route for the stage coaches from London to enter the town than via A. &. An instance occurs in Belmar Terrace, Pollokshields—the original proprietor of which having two daughters, Bella and Marion, took the first syllable from each of these cognomers, and produced a fair-sounding title for his property. Celtic baile (a town), and the name Howstene following would lead to the supposition that it meant Howstene's town, but the name Houston of old was written Hewston or Hughston, the town of Hugh, and was therefore complete in itself. The road was known as Victoria Street for some time but this name was never popular with the public (especially as there were four other Victoria Streets elsewhere in Glasgow) so it was changed back to Byres Road in the 1890s. The bridge cost £1800, of which sum Butherglen contributed £1000. He was the nephew of Buchanan of Drumpellier, who founded the first Scottish slave plantations in Virginia. overhung the roadway till within the last fifty years. The chapel of Saint Roche, the Confessor, stood on the common moor, on the north side of the city, near the place now known as Saint Rollox. Crosshill derives its name from an ancient cross which stood on a height still named the Cross Hill. Clyde (River), from the Gaelic word clith, meaning strong. Crossmyloof. The University commenced its career in a small building in this street in 1454, and this also might be adduced as another proof in favour of the locality. He was elected to the See in Glasgow in 1271, and died 26th November 1316, and was buried in the Cathedral between the altars of Saint Peter and Saint Andrew. He and James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City in Parliament after the Reform Bill of 1832. The result was that every one became Mr. Allan's enemy, and he, while largely interested in the sugar trade of the West Indies, was also a manufacturer in the city and gave out webs to be woven. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Streets and squares in Glasgow: Streets in Glasgow, Scotland. Parliamentary Road of course! John Mathieson, who was manager to Henry Monteith & Co., built the first tenement in the Row. 50 best jokes for kids 2020: funny and silly jokes that will make children laugh. Albany Street (Bridgeton), named for Charlotte Stuart, Duchess of Albany, who was the daughter of Prince Charlie. Meantime Harvey's shops were boycotted. Beaconsfield Road, in memory of the famous political Earl, who first gained notoriety through an attack made upon him in Parliament by the redoubtable Dan, who in his diatribe styled him a veritable descendant of Judas Iscariot and no doubt closely related to the thief upon the cross. He died in 1824. The Dennistouns have had a long and honourable connection with this city, both as Virginia Dons and cotton magnates, and politically they followed their heart more than their own interest, and it is well known that they gave more than sympathy to the mifortunate Prince of the Forty-five when he honoured Saint This Archibald was rather advanced in his politics, and went to Ireland, where he became secretary to the Society of United Irishmen in 1793, in which year he came to Edinburgh, and for challenging the Lord Advocate of Scotland to fight a duel had to cut and run. time there are approximately two thousand one hundred streets within the bounds of the city, and, in addition, several squares, quadrants, and parades. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was a sister of the City Chamberlain. The soldier man, however, had to pay sweetly for his little escapade at the Police Court next day. But anterior to the annihilation of all landmarks in the locality by the operations of the G. & S.-W. Railway Co., there was on the east side of Saint Enoch Lane, about midway between Argyle Street and Howard Street, a very old building of three storeys, with crow-stepped gables and small square windows, which apparently had never been glazed; but all of them on the street and first flat had at some time been fitted with iron bars. This thoroughfare has been swallowed up in extending the College Railway Station. The name is said by a local historian to signify "rabbit park," but this is a misnomer. The tree denotes the frozen branch with which, by blowing into a flame, Saint Mungo re-kindled the Græme Street (off High Street) was named after Robert Græme, a former Sheriff-Substitute. It was, when first opened, called Madeira Street. Camlachie Burn is the boundary between Bridgeton and Calton, and this so-called Cross, being on the west side of the burn, is therefore in Calton. By the 12th century Glasgow had been granted the status of what can now be called a city and the cathedral was the seat of the Bishops and (after 1472) the Archbishops of Glasgow. During the greater part of last century a railway occupied the centre of this street throughout its entire length. The lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the Woddrops in 1710. superstition of the time, and only to remember that he crushed for ever the hopes of a pseudo Roman Catholic in his aspirations to the throne. in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles in the street. Montrose Street, opened in 1787, was named for the Duke. Just along from Shaw Walker’s is Peacock’s Tearoom at number 28, another well-known Glasgow enterprise. Campbell of Blythswood's estate, near Renfrew, was called Renfield, and on his residential property he bestowed the name of his much more valuable Glasgow holding; but to make amends he named two of his new streets in the city Renfield and Renfrew respectively. This, I think, clearly establishes the fact that the Ilattoun Row was the These were—Bell Street, Bridgegate Street, Candleriggs Street, Canon Street, Drygate Street, Gallowgate Street, High Street, King Street, Princes Street, Kottenrow Street, Saltmarket Street, Stockwell Street, and Trongate Street. However, today's technology is usually taken for granted, and Glasgow's contribution often ignored. March 5, 2019 by a Daily Business Contributor Leave a Comment. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers.